Published: September 06, 2016 • Behind the scenes / Process

Our Cold Weather Collection is launching October 4th. Many of you have been wondering about our Fall/Winter collection, but we are doing things a little differently this season. Rather than releasing seasonal collections each year, I am working towards creating weather-centered collections that will live on our site long-term, just like our Signature Collection. The styles will evolve, fabrics may change, but the core will stay the same. The pieces will remain true to our vision of timeless, easy, essentials, and I can design without the pressure and fetters of needing to create new content just because time has passed. I can add when I feel ready to add, and won't feel pressure to pull down styles I love when the season ends. So, starting this October, we'll be designing and releasing products more intentionally than ever - always with the view of longevity, and never as part of the wasteful, tiring, never-ending cycle the fashion calendar perpetuates.

This shift in our design process is incredibly exciting, but that’s not all. I have been struggling with our supply chain for a while - we’ve focused most of our efforts thus far on garment design and manufacturing, ensuring that every step is just right, that our work environment is stellar, and that we make things intentionally that will add value to the world. However, I have admittedly not had time to delve into the rest of the supply chain - the raw materials that are produced outside of these four walls. I’ve worked with a local weaver each season to produce exclusive fabrics for specialty pieces, and I get to see those fabrics come to life from start to finish. That process has captured my attention, and we have really started digging into to where our raw materials come from and how our fabrics are made. This leads me to perhaps the most exciting thing about this winter...

For our Cold Weather Collection, we will only be using wool from Imperial Stock Ranch, a powerfully humane and environmentally responsible, US-based, family-owned company. And all of that wool will be woven into fabric right here in Nashville, TN by Tennessee Textile Mill. That’s right - every single wool garment we sell this winter will be made with locally woven fabric using fiber from happy, healthy animals. It will also be washable. This is a radical move, and we are more than a little frightened by such a big shift. It’s going to be different for our margins, different for our pricing strategy, different for production. But, I am confident that it’s the right decision. I can’t wait to share the absolutely incredible fabric we’ve been developing, along with the Cold Weather Collection styles that are meant to stick around.

• Posted by Holly Carlisle on October 04, 2016

So excited! That Steiglitz photo of Georgia O’Keefe is one of my all time favorite fashion inspirations!

• Posted by Jennifer Congdon on September 28, 2016

Thank you for highlighting that the farm providing the wool is humane.

• Posted by Judy Crouch on September 28, 2016

Can’t wait to see your new fabrics! I do so love woolen clothing.

• Posted by Amy on September 27, 2016

Great news! Excited for the seasonal collections. I appreciate the time and quality you put into your designs. It’s an art!

• Posted by Jennifer on September 27, 2016

Being so impressed with the fabric selection and craftsmanship of your current garments, I cannot wait!

• Posted by Michel on September 27, 2016

You know….wool was always washable. I hope you will pay attention to some of us that are sensitive to rough fabrics.

• Posted by Jessica on September 21, 2016

Thank you for making high quality cool weather garments in luxury fabrics that are home washable. So often, the dry cleaning process is less than eco-friendly, or if so, not readily available in all areas. It is just one more way ES is thinking about her client, her community and everyone’s future.

• Posted by Martha Szabo on September 20, 2016

This shift sounds great. Once we’ve figured out what shapes and styles fit/suit us, it’s disheartening to have to do that all over again in the next season. And I’m reducing my consumption in so many aspects of my life and would like to do so in clothing. Thank you for leading the industry!

• Posted by Allie on September 19, 2016

Liz, this is such a thrilling concept! So excited to see how you weave Imperial’s story with your own and strengthen that connection between fiber animals and clothing. This is our first year raising sheep for meat, dairy and fiber and each of those materials has so much more meaning now that we personally know who it came from. I’m stoked to see what you’ve been working on!

• Posted by Jen on September 10, 2016

That’s great news. Looking forward to October 4 more than ever. The focus and innovation behind your brand is so inspiring.